AJ pitched well tonight against the O’s, despite not getting the win. I was so frustrated watching the Yankees continue to waste scoring opportunities and do absolutely nothing against the thoroughly mediocre Kevin Millwood. Well, except for A-Rod, whose solo shot put us on the board. When A-Rod came up again in the ninth, down to his last strike and our last out of the game, I was feeling pretty low. But then….boom!
Did he spank that ball or what? I jumped up from the couch and started dancing around the room, totally elated. I knew Mo would take care of business, and he did. Never has beating the O’s been such a relief. With the Rays’ loss to the Angels, the Yanks are in first place for another few hours anyway. But here’s the other storyline: AJ’s black eye. He wouldn’t discuss it after the game. Neither would Girardi. All we know is that it’s “not baseball related.” So here are my theories for what could have happened:
1) AJ got in a fight in a bar. Except: his hands were fine and there was no police report.
2) Brian Cashman slugged him. Except: Cash is too short to reach AJ’s eye.
3) One of AJ’s teammates punched him on the plane. Except: That’s baseball related.
4) AJ’s wife hit him in the face with a golf club. Except: That’s so Tiger Woods.
5) AJ had a little “work” done on the off day and plastic surgery takes time to heal. Except: Why wouldn’t the other eye be black too?
OK, I give up. Anybody? Ideas? Or do I have to track down David Wells and get his input?